Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ontario PC Leadership Candidate Analysis - Christine Elliott

Christine Elliott

• A flat tax
I like this very much.

• Increase maximum work week from 48 hours to 60 hours
Another good step towards helping employers.

• Freeze the minimum wage
I suppose killing the minimum wage completely is a tougher sell, but its a good start.

• Double tax credit for charitable donations
OK

• Review bail system and prevent repeat offenders
I'm always leery of "review" committments, but at least the direction is correct.

• Give more resources to combating illicit tobacco smuggling
OK

• Policies to combat gang violence
such as..........?

• Opt out of federal EI program
Should make for interesting dinner table conversations at home....


• Build a law school in the north
Because we need more lawyers????

• Ensure access to affordable broadband in the north
Good.

• Improve access to legal counsel in the north
Apparently we do need more lawyers. Who'd have thought that?

•Consider Musoka part of northern Ontario
Because?

Overall Impression: Christine has clearly staked herself on the "Red Tory" side of the leadership contenders, though I believe her to be to the right of John Tory. I don't agree with her of the HRC issue, but I see more evidence of her taking the long term path than many of the others. I think her 'Path to Victory" document is excellent and should be adopted by whoever wins. I like that she is the only one with amajor part of her platform geared towards improving party infractrusture and preparedness.

No comments: